I needed to make a slide on Iyengar’s works for a lecture. Though I searched widely, I could not find an Iyengar bibliography. Hence, I made this catalog. I believe it is complete. If some reader knows otherwise, please inform me!
An Exhaustive Bibliography of the Books of B. K. S. Iyengar in English
By Eric Shaw, MARS, MASE, MAAS, E-RYT 500
Iyengar, B. K. S., 1966, Light on Yoga. New York: Schocken Books.
—-, 1978, Body the Shrine, Yoga Thy Light, India: B. I. Taporewala.
—-, 1981, Light on Pranayama: Pranayama Dipika, London: Unwin Paperbacks.
—-, 1985, The Art of Yoga, New Delhi: HarperCollins Publishers
—-, 1987, Yoga Sutra of Patanjali: Translation and Commentary, Pune: Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Institute.
—-, 1988, Yoga Vrksa: The Tree of Yoga, Oxford: Fine Line Books
—-, 1990, The Awakening of Intelligence: A Record of the Intensive Course with B. K. S. Iyengar in July 1989: Dipika Supplements, no. 4, Iyengar Yoga Institute
—-, & Manuso Manos, ed., 2001 (1991), Iyengar: His Life and Work, New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors
—-, 2008 (1993), Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Uttar Pradesh, India: Harpercollins
—-, 2000, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 1: Articles, Lectures, Messages, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, 2001, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 2, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, 2001, Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health, London: Dorling Kindersley.
—-, 2002, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 3, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, & Geeta Iyengar, 2002, Basic Guidelines for Teachers of Yoga, YOG
—-, 2004, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 4, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, & Nevedita Joshi, ed., 2004, Guruji Uwach, India: Rupa & Co.
—-, 2005, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 5, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, & John Evans & Douglas Abrams, 2005, Light on Life: The Journey to Wholeness, Inner Peace, and Ultimate Freedom, U.S.A.: Rodale
—-, 2006, Iyengar Yoga for Beginners, Dorling-Kindersly Publishers, Ltd.
—-, 2006, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 6, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, 2008, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 7, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, 2008, Astadala Yogamala (Collected Works), vol. 8, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Limited.
—-, 2008, Light on Ashtanga Yoga, New Delhi: Alchemy Publishers.
—-, 2009, Yoga Wisdom and Practice, New York: D. K. Publishing
—-, 2010, Yaugika Manas (np)
—-, 2012, Core of the Yoga Sutras: The Definitive Guide to the Philosophy of Yoga, London: HarperCollins
—-, (nd), with B.I. Taraporewala, Shirley Daventry French & Karyn Woodland, eds., Illuminations: Aphorisms of B. K. S. Iyengar, Iyengar Yoga Centre
Iyengar, B. K. S., 1987, The Concise Light on Yoga, Schoken
—-, 2004, The Illustrated Light on Yoga, HarperCollins
With Forwards, Prefaces or Introductions by Iyengar:
Becherer, Elsy, 2011, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Herder and Herder Inc.
Iyengar, Geeta, 1990, Yoga: A Gem for Women, Spokane, WA: Timeless books
—-, et. al., 2010, Iyengar Yoga for Motherhood: Safe Practice for Expectant and New Mothers, Sterling/Penn
Leboyer, Frederick, 1999, Inner Beauty, Inner Light: Yoga for Pregnant Women, Newmarket Press
Mehta, Silva, et. al., 1990, Yoga: The Iyengar Way, Alfred A. Knopf.
Radha, Swami Sivananda, 1995 (1987), Hatha Yoga: The Hidden Language: Symbols, Secrets and Metaphor, Spokane WA: Timeless Books.
Rifker, Hans-Ulrich, ed., 1992, The Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Thorsons
Schatz, Mary Pullig, 1992, Back Care Basics: A Doctors Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief, Rodmell Press
Stone, Michael, 2009, Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action, Boston: Shambhala
Biographical works on Iyengar by other authors:
Clennell, B., 1994, Iyengar Yoga Glossary, Privately Published Pamphlet
Busia, Kofi, ed., 2007, Iyengar: The Yoga Master, Boston: Shambhala
Kadetsky, Elizabeth, 2004, First There is a Mountain: A Yoga Romance, Boston: Little. Brown and Co.
Light on Yoga Research Trust, 1990, 70 Glorious Years of Yogacharya B. K. S. Iyengar, Light on Yoga Research Trust
Guruji Exhibit 90th Birthday Celebration (nd, np)
Books not otherwise mentioned with Iyengar Yoga as their subject:
Thomas, Tommijean, 2008, Iyengar Yoga: the Integrated and Holistic Path to Health: The Effective and Scientifically Investigated System of Yoga, Xlibris
- Numerous articles by B. K. S. Iyengar appear in Yoga Rahasya, the magazine published by the Iyengar Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Research Institute.
· Light on Yoga in its various forms has been published by Schoken, HarperCollins India and Allen and Unwin. A number of his other books have had variant publishing houses, too, usually determined by the country publishing them. (This is not uncommon for an international author.)
· It is not known if the book Guruji is the same as Guruji Uwach. I haven’t got ahold of Guruji and can’t find information on it, but I suspect it is the same book (a collection of Iyengar’s aphorisms).
· Yoga Vrksa: The Tree of Yoga has also been published as The Tree of Yoga and The Tree of Yoga: Yoga Vrksa.
· Iyengar: His Life and Work was first published as Body Thy Shrine, Yoga Thy Light.
· Many of his books have been translated into many languages.
· I have not included the numerous works on Iyengar Yoga published by teachers of his method.
· Light on Yoga was co-authored by B. I. Taraporewala (Iyengar: His Life and Work, pp. 437-444) and it can be assumed that all of Iyengar’s books have been strongly assisted by others, even when the co-authors have not been given co-billing; after these many years, Iyengar’s English is still not fluent. The introductory material in most of his books more or less confesses to this fact.
Copyright Eric Shaw, 2015, World Rights Reserved